Florida Relocation Statute- Florida Divorce and Time Sharing/Vistation

Written By: Lenorae C. Atter, Florida Family Law Attorney

In Florida, there is a relocation statute if you are moving with a child. As a Jacksonville divorce and family law attorney, I realize that not everyone understands that moving may require court action. Relocating for a job, marriage or any other reason? If you have a child and looking to move, then you may have to file a Petition for Relocation with the Court.
Florida law has a Relocation Statute, which requires that a relocation petition be filed with the Court if you are planning on moving, with your child, 50 miles or more away from your current residence. This is required if the move or relocation is for more than 60 days.
Filing a petition for relocation also requires that the other parent is served with the papers and (s)he has 20 days to file an objection. If an objection is not filed within that time period, then the Court will assume the move is in the best interest of the Child.
If the other parent will agree to your relocation, then you can file an agreement with the Court. The catch is, there a number of provisions within the Relocation Statute that must be met or you could face contempt, the Court can require you to return, and the Court may go so far as to change the primary residential parent.

Contact Information