A recent trend that has been sweeping the nation is the divorce party; women and men both throw these parties to symbolize a rite of passage back into being single. What is the etiquette of throwing a divorce party? The following tips will help you plan the perfect bash:
– Wait until the divorce is final
– Make sure your kids are out of the house
– Don’t schedule anything important for the next day
– Invite anyone who has stood by you through the divorce, including your divorce lawyer
– Avoid inviting anyone who might think less of you if they see you in “party mode”
– Consider inviting your ex-spouse, as long as you have divorced amicably
– Keep the mood light and happy and focused on the future; don’t dwell on the negative
– Plan to watch divorce themed movies like the First Wives Club, Le Divorce, War of the Roses, or Waiting to Exhale
– Consider a “burning of the marriage license” ceremony
– Don’t do anything you will regret, like bad-mouthing your ex, burning mementos that may be important to your children, or becoming too intoxicated
Although divorce is often times a necessary evil, a divorce party may be a way to put a positive spin on an otherwise negative situation. Many couples who have children together get divorced and remain good friends. This can help children deal with the negative side effects of a divorce more positively. While some people may see a divorce party as being distasteful, it is really just a way for the divorcee to come to terms with a difficult situation and move forward. There is no sense in dwelling on a past negative relationship. The divorce party helps a lot of people understand that divorce is a part of life and show them that they have the support of their friends in moving on.
Divorce is never easy. If you are considering a divorce you should speak with a Jacksonville Divorce Attorney to discuss your options. We understand you do not want a long contested divorce that costs you a ton of money. We always seek an amicable resolution first. Rest assured that we will make sure you understand your rights while helping you maintain your family integrity.
Read more interesting tips for throwing a divorce party you will never forget at Throwing a Divorce Party.