I Got Served Divorce Papers; What Should I Do?

Written By: Lenorae C. Atter, Attorney
Wood, Atter & Wolf, P.A.
divorce.jpg Divorce papers, in the initial reading, can be scary and frustrating because a petition is designed to ask for everything but the kitchen sink. However, you can also file a petition of your own, asking for similar things, in the form of a counter-petition. In addition to your option of filing a counter-petition you MUST file an answer to the petition either admitting or denying each allegation within 20 days from when you were served.

When should you file a counter-petition? If your spouse has requested time-sharing or visitation and you want to be the majority time-sharing parent (I.e. Custody issue); if you qualify for alimony; if you want the marital home or other assets; etc.

If you have been served with divorce papers, you should speak with an experienced lawyer regarding your rights and options so that you fully protect yourself. Also, the attorney can help you better understand the process and how to proceed.

Contact Information